What I Believe About God
So after a long conversation via IM today with my charming brother-in-law Brian (warning: his site contains extensive cursing), I decided to write a post about what I believe about God.
I’ll follow it up in a few days about what I DON’T believe about God.
But let’s get the positives first. :)
1. I believe in God. First things first, I believe there is a God. While I think there are strong reasonable arguments for the existence of God, ultimately my belief in God has very little to do with reason. (In other words, I think my belief in God is REASONABLE, but reason is not the SOURCE of my belief.) Instead, the source of my belief is subjective personal experience with the Divine and intense spiritual longings that tell me it is so. I understand this might not be satisfying to skeptics. I don’t care. I believe for me, not them.
2. I believe in One God. In other words, I’m a monotheist.
3. I believe God is the Creator and Ruler of the Universe. Still, I think there is NO conflict between science and religion. I believe what we discover about science reveals more about God’s methods of creation and governance of the natural world as opposed to providing “proof” He doesn’t exist. The two need not be incompatible.
4. I believe in a personal God. I believe in a God who knows us INDIVIDUALLY and is concerned with us PERSONALLY.
5. I believe in a loving God. More than just a personal God, I believe in a God who loves us. This is because I have felt God’s love transform me.
6. I believe God is Good. Beyond the fact that God is personal and loving, I believe in a God who is All Good.
7. I believe God is Eternal, All-Knowing, All-Powerful, Perfect, and Glorious. I don’t know exactly what all that means, but I believe it nonetheless.
8. I believe God is incomprehensible. As an extension of #7, I believe that the fact that I don’t know exactly what it all means is kind of the point. I think if a person could comprehend God, He wouldn’t be much of a God.
9. I believe Jesus Christ is God. I’m a Christian, and believe that Jesus was in fact God, who condescended to take upon Himself our sins and sorrows. I think the idea that a perfect, all-knowing, all powerful God would descend from glory to suffer with us is the most beautiful idea I’ve ever heard.
10. I believe that God wants to make us into something much more than we are. I don’t know exactly what the end result will look like, or even have the slightest clue what it entails, but I believe it’s gonna be good.
So those are the basics for me. What about you? What do you believe about God?